Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Truly Beautiful

Mediapeta.com


When I eliminated meat, cheese, and dairy from my diet...I slowly opened myself up to a whole new world.... My first indications of positive change were in my digestion, skin clarity, and sleep. I also found I had a better short-term memory...and ability to recall detailed information from days past. After a few months, I started to embrace new foods more openly, and welcome the opportunity to try a new restaurant or dish. I discovered Indian food and Thai dishes...I started using kitchen appliances from the back of my pantry, like the steamer and blender. I found myself spending most of my time in the produce section of the grocery store...and visiting farmers markets with great excitement. I bought new vegetarian cookbooks, and truly started to enjoy preparing and sharing my food. And, I was happier.

Of course, when I first started this quest to become a healthy eater...Fear of the unknown presented me with an ignorance that left me confused about what I would actually be eating if I eliminated these mythical "staples" from my diet. But over a few months, I grew to understand the color of the vegan diet. And only then did I realize all the things that were missing from my plate all along. My grocery basket became a wide diversity of color...rich in nutrition, and alive like never before.

Now, these are things I buy from the grocery store....

Fruit:
Apples
Oranges
Bananas
Strawberries
Lemons
Blueberries
Frozen Berries
Anything in season

Vegetables:
Carrots
Cucumbers
Kale
Celery
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Squash

Nuts/Misc:
Garlic
Raw Cashews
Almond Butter
Walnuts
Pine Nuts
Chia Seeds
Almonds
Olive Oil
Sunflower Oil
Canola Oil

Other:
Agave Nectar
Dark Chocolate Chips (Enjoy Life brand)
Soy Milk
Almond Milk
Rice Milk
Coconut Ice Cream

Packaged Proteins:
Gardein Scallopini
Garden Burger
Tofu

Snacks:
Clif Mojo Bars
Lara Bars
Naked Juice

When you think "healthy", think color. Think deep rich color. Nourish your body with an imaginative collection of earth's radiance and avoid the consumption of  anything less than truly beautiful.

-jerry


















No comments:

Post a Comment