Sunday, October 2, 2011

On-the-go Healthy!

In this post, I will share some of my favorite selections from popular restaurants. These popular chain restaurants provide a deep enough menu for me to fuel when I'm on-the-go! Here are my plant-based favorites...



Noodles! Anyone who works with me can attest to what I'm about to say... I walk in my regular Noodles and Co and they put in the order without me saying anything! One of two menu items fits the bill:

1. Bangkok Curry with Tofu: When you're on-the-go, try the Bangkok Curry with Tofu from Noodles. It's a sweet/spicy coconut-based curry on noodles with cabbage. They grill their tofu pretty well and it's cubed, but the texture works well with the dish. You can grab this to go and leave it in your car for hours! It's good hot or cold.

2. Pasta Fresca with Tofu: The other menu option at Noodles is the Pasta Fresca. Aside from the refined noodles, it's pretty high-quality with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, spinach, and tomatoes. I like to top this with tofu as well. Both dishes are around $6.




Jamba! Surprisingly, not everything is healthy at Jamba. Their "baked goods" are complete crap. With my distrustful vegan eye, I have selected the following as my favorite meals to grab when you have Jamba on-the-go:

1. Acai Topper: They took this off the menu but you can still order it. It's a blend of dark berries including blueberries and acai. There is no added sugar (or sherbet). I like to add soy protein as my boost for an additional 15 grams of protein. They top it with granola (maybe a little added sugar on the granola) and sliced banana on top. I eat this about 3x week. Jerry-approved..

2. Carrot Juice: Ah yeah! Jamba has these industrial size juicers...unfortunately, the 17 year old high-school girl behind the counter doesn't know how to use them. They often force the carrots through the machine and you get some small carrot chunks in the juice. But don't fret! Ask them nicely to pour the juice through a small strainer (it's kept behind the sink). This will strain any small carrot chunks away from the super juice. This isn't a smoothie....I'm talking juice here, so no chunks! And, you can also have them throw in a little bit of orange juice (also fresh squeezed in front of you.) New to carrot juice? You will likely have to find a bathroom within the hour if your gut is full of Standard American Food.


So,  a bunch of my buddies at work really like Chipotle. At first, I was really concerned I might not be able to make this one work for me. But, I discovered an incredible plant-based dish you will love! Here it is:

1. Chipotle Salad: When you order the "salad", they will give you this incredible dressing made of spicy chipotle and olive oil. It is SO GOOD. Have them dress your salad with some rice, black beans, fajitas, pico de gallo (tomato salsa), guacamole, and chips! I'm telling you...this dressing is an underground, behind-the-scenes, you have to try it to believe it dressing!

I'm busy like everybody else...so I enjoy and require the convenience of these popular restaurants when I can't prepare my own food. Because these dishes are free of additives, sugar, and other bad stuff, you likely wont grow tired of them. I enjoy these menu items regularly and they help me stay on top of my effort to eat a plant-based diet when I'm out on the town.

Share your thoughts! 
jerry

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome Jerry. Just what I needed! Thank
    s so much

    ReplyDelete